Outside the Walls Intern: February 1-May 31, 2018
Hours: Part-Time (10 hours/week), some evenings and Saturdays required
Threewalls transitioned from a bricks-and-mortar gallery to an itinerant model in early 2016 in response to contemporary discourse about the intersections of art, social justice and community. Our mission is to foster contemporary art practices that respond to lived experiences, encouraging connections beyond art. We continue to support artists and collaborative projects, especially those which are best presented outside of traditional art spaces, thereby expanding the discourse around contemporary art presentation and exhibition, and breaking down walls to contemporary art that are firmly in place in so many communities.
Threewalls seeks a spring intern to assist with the planning and logistics of an exhibition part of our new exhibition platform “Outside the Walls.” The intern will work closely with the Artist & Artistic Engagement Associate and the exhibition artists. We are looking for candidates with global knowledge of contemporary art, experience with the intersections of art and community, and a strong interest and involvement with social justice issues particularly around race, ethnicity, inclusion and equity. Additionally, excellent research, writing, and communication skills are necessary; and the ability to work independently.
– Passionate about contemporary art, community engagement, and social justice
– Team player
– Attentive to detail
– Interested in creative collaborative process
– Excellent communication skills including the ability to talk with artists and non-artists
– Strong research abilities
– Writings on contemporary art, community engagement and/or social justice (published or unpublished)
– Practice Threewalls’ values and align with our mission and vision
– Support planning and coordination of public events
– Must be available Wednesday-Saturday, between 11-5 pm. Schedule to be determined.
Please submit your resume, a one-page letter of interest, and a writing sample (no longer than 3 pages, can be a partial sample of a longer piece). Submit your materials to [email protected] with “Outside the Walls Intern” in the subject line. The deadline is January 12, 2018 and interviews will be January 18 and January 19, 2018. No phone calls. No late submissions.
Threewalls is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to intentionally creating a diverse and inclusive team. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.