Launched in February of 2021, Threewalls, a contemporary arts organization, offered funds in support of Chicago’s arts ecosystem: Response+Relief Fund. In this inaugural round, Threewalls prioritized the fund for independent, recently laid off or furloughed arts administrators and curators who had urgent situations and were in need of temporary financial support. These arts workers are often overlooked in the field. Response+Relief Fund offered some assistance for them during a difficult moment in their lives.
Response+Relief Fund opened to those residing within the Chicagoland area; with awarded applicants receiving a one-time unrestricted grant of $500. These $500 grants were disbursed within 30 days following the applicants receiving notification. For 2021, there will be only one round. A total of $20,000 in funding was be available.
Funded through Threewalls’ Take Time for JOY Fundraiser, Response + Relief Fund welcomed eligible arts workers to apply, with a particular focus on those who identify as: ALAANA (African descendant, Latinx, Arab, Asian, Native American), LGBTQ2SIA+, non-binary, women, d/Deaf and/or disabled.
HOW TO APPLY?
The application period for Response + Relief Fund was open on Friday, February 19th, 2021 at 12noon, Central Time and closed on Friday, March 5th at 4:00pm, Central Time. The application was made available on Threewalls’ website: https://three-walls.org/.
Applicants completed a brief Google Form online. To ensure that Response+Relief Fund practices equity, we asked applicants to share certain demographic information, in order to identify those who may fall within further priority consideration. All information shared by applicants is confidential.
For d/Deaf and disabled artists: if you have any concerns with completing the application form, you may apply by phone or video. To complete the application by phone or video you may contact Barak adé Soleil, Threewalls’ Director of Programs at 312.622.2772 (text or call) Tuesday, Wednesdays or Fridays between 11:00am – 4:00pm or email Barak@three-walls.org.
For general questions, please email Responsefund@three-walls.org.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY IN 2021?
– Applicants must be individual arts workers within the Chicagoland visual and performing arts community. For this round, arts workers to be prioritized are: full- or part-time arts administrators and curators who have been recently laid off or furloughed; independent arts administrators and curators who rely on freelance opportunities and do not have a career-driven arts practice. These arts workers may have had freelance work canceled, are working fewer hours and/or experiencing a particularly difficult moment in their lives. This includes part-time, temporary and contract staff.
Applicants fitting within the prioritized arts workers:
– may be documented or undocumented individuals.
– must be residents of the Illinois counties — Cook, DeKalb, DuPage, Grundy, Kane, Kankakee, Kendall, Lake, LaPorte, McHenry & Will. Proof of residency will be required.
– will need to express the urgency of their situation.
– will need to offer a statement on how they fit within the defined arts workers description.
THOSE NOT ELIGIBLE TO APPLY for the 2021 Round INCLUDE:
– Students enrolled in any degree program
– Arts workers who have retained full-time jobs
– Propeller Impact Fund recipients and current Threewalls Research and Development Lab+Outside the Walls Fellows.
CAN AN ARTIST WHO IS ALSO AN ADMINISTRATOR APPLY?
You must be able to clearly state how your administration work is central to your career. If your artistic practice is central to your career, and administration is something you “do on the side,” you may not be eligible in this year’s funding round.
HOW CAN RECIPIENTS USE THIS GRANT?
This grant provides short-term financial support for those experiencing a financial loss as a result of a particularly difficult moment in their lives. Recipients can use these funds to cover any expenses necessary to stay afloat.
IS THERE ONLY ONE ROUND?
Yes, for 2021, there is only one round. If you are not selected in this round, you may apply for future rounds, pending funding. If you are selected as a recipient, you are no longer eligible to apply for future rounds of Response+Relief Fund.
OTHER GRANT DETAILS:
-The $500 payments will be made electronically via PayPal. Threewalls can also offer payments via check. For those who prefer a paper check, please note that processing payment will take longer than electronic.
– This grant may be considered taxable income.
– Applicants should be aware that due to limited funding and the potential high demand, only a small percentage of those who apply will receive the grant.
– Selection process will be done via lottery, with priority given to those who identify intersectionally as ALAANA (African descendant, Latinx, Arab, Asian, Native American), LGBTQ2SIA+, non-binary, women, d/Deaf and/or disabled.
PRIVACY AND SECURITY:
As an applicant, your data will be viewed by members of Threewalls. Individual applicant data (including name) will not be shared, duplicated, or distributed publicly. Aggregated applicant data from all applications collected may be shared in summary reports to funders and/or the public, but will not disclose any personal information.
FURTHER QUESTIONS? Responsefund@three-walls.org
Response + Relief Fund will award applicants a one-time unrestricted grant of $500. A total of $20,000 in funding will be available. The inaugural round is now closed.
Response + Relief Fund is prioritizing the fund for independent, recently laid off or furloughed arts administrators and curators who have urgent situations and are needing temporary financial support.
Threewalls is always finding new ways to share our artist’s unique voices through exhibits, talks, and gatherings. We would like you to be the first to know about these opportunities.